New in 3.7:
- Added Bulgarian translation.
- Fix a bug that would make files with invalid filenames not work in Zip and Exe files.
- Fix some small memory leaks.
- Read-only attributes for files in archives are now ignored. This caused some files not to extract correctly in older versions.
- Fix a bug with parsing Tar files.
New in 3.6.1:
- Fixed a bug where extracting multiple archives would fail.
New in 3.6:
- Added support for the Internet Archive WARC format.
- Fixed the "Never create folder" option, which had accidentally been disabled.
- Fixed a bug in Polish translation that made Polish version crash sometimes.
- Fixed a bug that caused file formats to not be unselectable in the file type list.
- Fixed bugs in XAR/.pkg, CAB, HQX and Compress.
- Fixed a few more rare bugs and crashes.
- Made the legacy version work on 10.5 again.
New in 3.5.1:
- Fixed a bug that made the app fail to launch on 10.6 and 10.7.
- Fixed another sandbox bug that caused archives on remote volumes to fail to open.
New in 3.5:
- Added support for password-protected 7z files.
- Added an experimental AppleScript interface.
- Added a progress bar overlay on the dock icon.
- Chinese translation.
- Handle files opened from Mail.app better.
- Better support for very old StuffIt archives, including password-protected ones.
- Fixed a bug where the app might stop launching at all under rare circumstances.
- Fixed some crashes on old OS X versions.
- Various bugfixes for PDF, hqx and sitx.
New in 3.4:
- Added Retina display support.
- Fixed an OS X sandbox issue that would cause multiple extractions to fail.
- Bugfixes for Tar and PDF extraction.
- Bugfix for the extraction progress bar for some 7z files.
- A few translation updates.
New in 3.3:
- Updated to support Apple's new stricter sandboxing rules. This means the program will need to nag the user more often, but should also mean that extraction should work better in non-standard locations. May also have introduced new bugs, so be careful and report any problems.
- Support for extracting bitmap images from PDF files.
- Support for AppleSingle files.
- Arabic and Norwegian translations.
- Legacy version hopefully works on G3 again.
New in 3.2:
- Added a workaround for a sandbox bug in Mac OS X that was causing extracted apps to not launch properly.
- Added Polish, Spanish, Turkish, Latvian and Portugese translations.
- Fixed opening folders in the Finder after extraction.
- Fixed extraction of partial RAR files.
- Fixed spurious warnings about resource forks for some Zip files.
New in 3.1.1:
- Restore PPC support in legacy version.
New in 3.1:
- Fix crashing on 10.6.
- Added French and Swedish localizations. More localizations are still needed! If you can, consider submitting one yourself!
- A few other small bugfixes.
- A version for older OS X versions is now also available again. It may also help with sandbox problems.
New in 3.0:
- The Archive Browser is now available!
- Support for WinZip Zipx.
- Support for extracting images and sounds from Flash SWF files.
- Support for various Unix formats, such as ar and deb.
- Support for more CD and DVD image formats, such as MDF, NRG and CDI.
- Better support for Zip64 (large zip files) and extended attributes.
- Better support for 7z (self-extracting files, and LZMA2).
- Better support for some old formats, like LBR, StuffIt and DiskDoubler.
- There is now an option to never create an enclosing folder when extracting an archive.
- The icon is now always shown, even when extracting.
- The Unarchiver is now sandboxed.
- Lots of bugfixes.
Unfortunately, there are now less translations available. All the translations of The Unarchiver are submitted by volunteers, and I now need more volunteers to translate it into more languages! If you'd like to see it in your language, please submit a translation!
New in 2.7.1:
- Should run on 10.4 again, and maybe even 10.3.9. 2.7 accidentally broke compatibility with them.
New in 2.7:
- Available on the App Store!
- Support for ISO and BIN disc images.
- Support for encrypted StuffIt archives, thanks to a friendly archivist.
- Workaround for broken Zip archives that make files non-executable.
- Fixed unpacking .pkg files.
- Better StuffIt X support.
- Other bugfixes.
New in 2.6:
- Added support for Now Compress and LBR.
- Improved DiskDoubler support. Almost all modes are now supported, including hardware-accelerated ones.
- Better support for ARC, including proprietary PAK algorithms.
- Better support for Squeeze and Zoo.
- Several bugfixes for RAR, Zip and Compress files.
- Fixed broken handling of multi-part files in unar.exe on Windows.
New in 2.5:
- Fixes unpacking of password-protected Zip files, which was broken in the last update.
- Source can now be built with a completely free implementation of RAR which works for all versions, including multimedia filters, avoiding the non-GPL-compatible unrar license. (There is also better support for ancient RAR 1.5 files.)
- Has a workaround for a Paragon NTFS bug that made unpacking on NTFS drives generate errors.
- Fixes for Tar and RPM files.
- There are now two command-line utilities available, unar and lsar, which can be used to unpack and list archives, respectively. They are still in development and not really feature-complete, but they should work. These are available as precompiled binaries for both OS X and Windows on the download page, and can also be built on Linux.
New in 2.4:
- Support for Zip files missing their central directory. This makes it possible to recover more damaged Zip files.
- Support for more DiskDoubler files.
- Better handling of broken Tar files, such as those created by some versions of Ant.
- Bugfixes for the RAR and StuffIt decompressors.
- Fixed file association for .Z files.
- Italian and Danish translations, by Marco Rotatori and Søren Palmund.
- Some fixes for the handling of file permissions, to better match Archive Utility.
- Fixes to unpack giant .tar.gz files better.
- Optimized decompression of several older formats, such as LZH and StuffIt.
- Fixed a couple of bugs in the UI.
New in 2.3:
- Updated French localization by Ronald Leroux.
- Can now join simple split files (those named .001, .002 and so on).
- Supports MSI files. The same format is actually used for many Microsoft file types, so you can now also extract the internals of DOC or PPT files, among others. If you have some reason to.
- Much better support for DiskDoubler. Added two missing compression methods.
- Fixed CAB support, which was broken. Should now support all CAB files, including multi-part.
- Amiga LZX should work better.
- Supports more naming schemes for multi-part RAR files.
- Some other bugfixes.
New in 2.2:
- Korean and Simplified Chinese translations, by Chang-Beom Park and Tianhao He respectively.
- Support for the XZ compression format, along with support for embedded XZ in RPM and XAR files.
- Support for LZMA2 and some more filters in 7-zip.
- Support for NSA and SAR.
- Better support for unicode in Zip files, and some bugfixes for Korean.
- Better support for MacBinary in Zip.
- Fixed an issue where the final file in a Zip file created on OS X might get lost.
- More robust reading of gzip files.
- Fixed an issue with the interface, where the window was sometimes left open.
New in 2.1:
- Added a service for unarchiving files via the the Services menu, or when right-clicking files.
- Some interface tweaks (File menu now works in the preferences window, doesn't ask for destination directories for every archive, archives are not added to the queue twice).
- Proper quarantine propagation for downloaded files.
- Better support for very large Zip and 7-zip files.
- More RAR bugfixes.
- For programmers: The XADMaster library can now be compiled in 64 bit mode, but the The Unarchiver app itself is still only 32 bit.
New in 2.0.3:
- More speedups and bugfixes for encrypted RAR files.
New in 2.0.2:
- Sped up the RAR decryption code a lot.
- Fixed some issues with resource forks in .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files.
New in 2.0.1:
- Should now handle concaternated bzip2 files.
- Fixes to the Japanese translation.
- Fixes to the LZMA parser.
New in 2.0:
- Support for many new formats and algorithms:
- Partial support for SITX archives. Most archives should open fine, but SITX's special JPEG compression is unsupported. (If you are a programmer and want to help out with getting this working, I'd be happy to hear from you!) Some preprocessing filters are also unsupported.
- Other new formats: XAR, ALZip, LZMA-utils, Compact Pro, PackIt, ARJ
- Encrypted RAR archives.
- WinZip-style encrypted Zip files using AES.
- Can decompile NSIS installers to get the files inside. This seems to work for versions all the way back to 1.1o or so, but a lot of guessing is involved so it might fail on some files.
- More compression types in Zip: Deflate64, bzip2, PPMd, LZMA.
- More compression types in DiskDoubler (but still not all).
- Better handling of 7-zip, RAR, LZH, tar and RPM files.
- Extracting files from several emulation formats, such as NDS and ADF.
- Bugfixes and streamlining for the user interface.
- Option for when to create folders for extracted files.
- Option for how to set the date of extracted folders.
New in 1.6.1:
- Leopard compatibility fixes.
New in 1.6:
- Fixed a bug that caused password-protected Zip archives to fail to extract.
- Added support for zip archives created by ZipIt.
- Added a Dutch localization by Jonathan.
- Fixed a rare RAR bug, and some GUI quirks.
New in 1.5:
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to use The Unarchiver together with Xee on some computers.
- Added a Traditional Chinese localization by NitocTaiwan.
New in 1.4:
- Experimental support for Mac OS X 10.3.
- Support for pax archives, as found in Installer packages.
- Fixed a bug where large archives with lots of resource forks would cause massive memory use.
- Fixed some timezone-related bugs. Some format may still have problems getting the timestamps exactly right, however.
- Various other minor bugfixes.
New in 1.3:
- More localizations: Portugese and Russian. Thanks this time go to Nylson Coelho and Michael Krekin.
- Changed the modifier key for extract-to-foler: Either Shift or Option works now. Command was too easy to accidentially trigger when opening a file with Command-O.
- Fixed a bug where app bundles in StuffIt files would not run correctly after being extracted.
- Fixed a bug where The Unarchiver would hang when trying to extract particularly broken files.
- Fixed a bug where apps would be launched when the open-after-extracting option was on.
New in 1.2:
- Added several localizations: Japanese, German, French and Spanish. Many thanks to E-WA, Christoph Schmitz, Thomas Steffen, Thomas Didrel, and Oscar A. Mata T. for their work on this!
- Added an option to have The Unarchiver ask for a destination folder. Holding the command key while double-clicking an archive will also make The Unarchiver ask for a destination folder.
- Fixed many unarchiving bugs. Several problems with Zip files fixed, and SIT files should now work much better, especially on Intel machines.
- Fixed some other bugs in the interface, such as some problems with the filetype association list.
New in 1.1:
- Added options to automatically open extracted folders, and to automatically delete archives after extracting.
- Added an option to select which folder to extract to.
- Fixed the bug where the window would sometimes open below others.
- Fixed a number of extraction bugs.